Project Status: In progress
What we’re doing
We’re extending the pedestrian boulevard of George Street, Sydney from Bathurst Street to Railway Square and creating a new public space on Devonshire Street between Chalmers and Elizabeth streets, Surry Hills.
George Street south, pedestrianised from Bathurst St to Rawson Place, will create 9,000m2 of additional car-free space in the city centre, and will be completed with a $1m contribution from NSW Government.
The project includes:
- extended pedestrianised zones at the southern end of George Street between Bathurst Street and Rawson Place
- open space improvements on George Street between Rawson Place and Pitt Street, Ultimo Road, Thomas Street and Hay Street
- more than 9,000 square metres of new space for walking
- granite footpaths to replace car lanes
- new street trees, seating and lighting
- spaces for outdoor dining
- simpler intersections to reduce travel times for everyone.
Local access and emergency services access will be maintained.
Our contractor, Sydney Civil, will carry out the works. The works are planned to start in March 2021, and will be done in stages to minimise disruption to people and businesses.
We’ll start on George Street on the east side of the light rail tracks, near Bathurst Street. We’ll progress south on both eastern and western sides, block by block, towards Railway Square.
Construction to the south of Goulburn Street is planned to start in late 2021. Work on Devonshire Street in Surry Hills is planned to start in 2022.
Sydney Civil’s community liaison officer will contact local residents and businesses before construction starts in your area. They will keep you informed about the details and program of works on either side of the tracks.
Sign up for project updates
We encourage you to sign up for regular updates about this project.