Senior Communications & Engagement Advisor
We're fast-tracking new walking connections as part of our response to the Covid-19 pandemic and increasing pedestrianisation of the city centre.
With the NSW Government, we're fast-tracking new walking connections as part of our response to the Covid-19 pandemic and completing the pedestrianisation of George Street. This will ensure people can get into and around the city while maintaining physical distancing.
For better access for people walking, these temporary traffic changes will take place:
- extend the existing southbound lane closure of George Street between Bathurst and Campbell streets to Rawson Place
- close the northbound lanes of George Street between Ultimo Road and Bathurst Street
- close Campbell Street at George Street, making it 2-way between George and Pitt streets
- close the westbound lane of Hay Street, between George and Sussex streets
- make Ultimo Road 1-way westbound, between George and Quay streets.
We’ll also change parking in surrounding streets to improve loading opportunities. Local access to properties will remain.
The temporary closure was installed with temporary barriers and signs on Monday 20 July 2020.
The temporary closure is funded by the NSW Government.
We propose to make these changes permanent and ask for community feedback.
Give your feedback by emailing [email protected].
Consultation closes at 5pm on Thursday 31 December 2020.
Feedback may be published in publicly available reports at the end of the consultation period. Your name or organisation's name may appear in these reports with your feedback attributed. If you would like your feedback to be kept confidential, please let us know when making your submission.