Waterloo Second World War Memorial

Related to City Art
Installed 1947
A red granite pillar in an open sandstone structure made of four columns and a roof. The structure is in a paved area surrounded by a low red brick wall in a park.
Two plaques on a red granite surface. The top plaque lists 5 names. The bottom plaque displays 4 military insignia and an inscription commemorating those who served in World War 2.
Historical photograph in black and white of a granite pillar in an open sandstone structure made of four columns and a roof.

Simple granite World War 2 memorial, set within a peaceful reserve in the busy heart of Waterloo.

Artist: Frederick Arnold

Artwork description

At the busy junction of Elizabeth and Kellick streets in the heart of Waterloo, the Tobruk Reserve is nestled – a tiny place of peace and reflection.

In the centre of the reserve, surrounded by landscaped gardens, stands the Waterloo World War 2 Memorial.

This red granite memorial pillar stands on a simple square plinth set into a circular stone base. It is protected by a corniced sandstone roof supported by 4 sandstone columns. The pillar is adorned on 2 sides by granite and sandstone vases.


Frederick Arnold and his sons were master monumental sculptors and masons.

Arnold opened a monument masonry works in 1879 on the corner of Wellington and Regent streets, Sydney.

In 1892 the works were moved to Paddington and by 1918 the firm had relocated to 53 Regent Street, Sydney.

Records in the Mitchell Library show the business traded until 1981.


Copper plaques are fixed to 3 sides of the memorial pillar, listing the names of soldiers lost between 1939 and 1945. On the front face of the pillar is another plaque, with the following inscription:

They whom this memorial commemorates were numbered amongst those who, at the call of King and Country, left all that was dear to them, faced danger and finally passed out of the fight of men by in the path of duty, making self-sacrifice, giving up their lives that we might live in freedom. For those who come after see to it that their Names be not Forgotten.

A plaque on the memorial’s base shows that it was ‘Erected by the Council of the Municipality of Waterloo, M.V. Neilson, Mayor 1947’. A partially obscured inscription on the plinth names the sculptor as F. Arnold.

Get arts and culture updates from City of Sydney News.