Project Status: Completed
What we’re doing
The aim of the oval refurbishment was to provide sporting, athletic and recreational opportunities for a broad range of community, school and sporting groups.
The South Sydney Rabbitohs were an integral part of the overall project. The upgrade guaranteed a professional level training ground for the team, together with facilities such as change rooms, a weights room, meeting room and storage.
It now allows a limited number of pre-season and exhibition matches, with perimeter fencing to protect the field.
The City of Sydney manages the new facility for the whole community and provides a high level of maintenance to ensure quality control of the training field.
Grandstand and oval
- creating more open space by removing the old grandstands, high concrete walls and fences
- constructing of the state-of-the-art sports field
- improving spectator facilities by installing the grass terraces and building the new grandstand
- providing new training facilities for the South Sydney District Rugby League Football Club and playing facilities for local teams
- building a new kiosk and room for club and community use.
- planting of new trees, shrubs and grass, including fig trees in the southern half of the park
- installing the new children’s playground and interactive water feature
- upgrading of all the paths and kerbs
- installing the new lights and park furniture
- restoring the park’s historic features such as the fountain and war memorial.