Microchip your pet
Take your pet to your local vet or animal welfare organisation for microchipping - they're accredited to do this procedure.
Project Status: When you need to do this
Fees and charges
We're currently updating the information on this page and some fees and charges from 1 July 2020 may not be accurate.
Please visit the Office of Local Government website for more information.
What you need to do
- Take your pet to your local vet or animal welfare organisation for microchipping – they're accredited to do this procedure.
- When your pet is microchipped, you'll be asked to fill in the permanent ID form.
- Send the completed form to City of Sydney, Pet Registration Officer, GPO Box 1591, Sydney NSW 2001.
After you finish
- We'll enter the information from your form in to the NSW Companion Animal Register. There's no fee for this.
- You'll receive a certificate of identification. Keep your certificate of identification so you can register your pet before it's 6 months old.
- Next, register your pet. Remember, you get a discount if you desex your cat by 4 months and your dog by 6 months of age.