Microchip your pet
Take your pet to your local vet or animal welfare organisation for microchipping - they're accredited to do this procedure.
All dogs and cats must be microchipped before they are 12 weeks of age.
Our companion animals liaison officer provides free microchipping for local residents with valid pensioner, health care or student concession cards.
Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
- Take your pet to your local vet or animal welfare organisation for microchipping – they're accredited to do this procedure.
- When your pet is microchipped, you'll be asked to fill in the permanent ID form.
- Send the completed form to City of Sydney, Pet Registration Officer, GPO Box 1591, Sydney NSW 2001.
After you finish
- We'll enter the information from your form in to the NSW Companion Animal Register. There's no fee for this.
- You'll receive a certificate of identification. Keep your certificate of identification so you can register your pet before it's 6 months old.
- Next, register your pet. Remember, you get a discount if you desex your cat by 4 months and your dog by 6 months of age.