Mobile food vending vehicles policy – local approvals policy
A framework to manage the operation of these vehicles within the local area.
Flexible regulations for food trucks
The Environmental Planning and Assessment (Covid-19 Development – Takeaway Food and Beverages) Order 2020 started on 2 April 2022.
The order allows mobile food and drink outlets (food trucks) to operate on any land at any time, if certain requirements are met.
The full list of requirements is set out in the order and includes:
- Food trucks must have consent of the owner of the land where they are located. If a council or other public authority has control and management of the land, such as a public road, public reserve or other public place, consent in writing from the council or relevant public authority must be obtained.
- If the food truck is located on private land:
- it is limited to one food truck for each lot
- it must not contravene any conditions of development consent for any other use of the land
- it may be located on that land where the current use, and development approval, is not for a food and drink premises.
- There must be enough space to allow customers to comply with social distancing requirements – customers must be able to stand least 1.5m from each other. Seating for customers cannot be provided.
- All other requirements including not obstructing vehicle or pedestrian access and taking steps to reduce noise still apply.
For more details visit the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment website.
- This policy provides a framework for the operation of mobile food vending vehicles within our local area. It aims to:
- ensure mobile food vending vehicles follow road rules and kerbside parking restrictions on City-owned roads
- ensure that food sold is safe and fit for human consumption
- provide guidance and assistance for people to operate these vehicles in the local area
- ensure their safe operation
- minimise impact on the environment and local amenity.
- The policy applies to City-owned roads and other public places within our area.