Get rid of dampness and mould in your home
Most homes will be affected by condensation and possibly other forms of unwanted water at some point. However, certain activities can increase the problem.
Project Status: When you need to do this
In both private and rented, condensation and mould growth is often due to habits and lifestyle and is something that can be reduced or remedied by the occupant.
What you need to do
Read our fact sheet on damp and mould
- Produce less moisture
- Remove excess moisture
- Ventilate to remove moisture
- Heat your home a little bit more
- Deal with black mould.
Other useful tips
- Wipe down the windows and sills every morning
- Wring out the cloth rather than drying it on a radiator
- Condensation channels and sponge strips can be bought at DIY shops. These channels are fitted to windows to collect the condensation and thus help prevent window frames from rotting and avoid damp forming under sills. Care must be taken to fit these devices properly.