Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
Work out your collection day
- If you live in a house or small apartment block, you can enter your street address in the search bar or zoom into the map to find your collection day and download a collection day calendar.
- If you live in an apartment, confirm your collection day with your building manager.
- If you’re a building manager or caretaker of a larger or high-rise apartment building, please contact us to confirm your collection days. Your bins may be collected several times a week.
- If you’re participating in the food scraps recycling service, check your food scraps (maroon lid) bin collection day in the table further down the page.
Prepare your bins for collection
- Bins are emptied any time from 6am to 6pm on your collection day.
- Put bins out the night before collection day, to ensure they aren’t missed. Bins should be near the kerb, where they won’t block vehicles or people walking or riding.
- Place all items in your bins. Extra rubbish, bags or other materials left next to the bin won’t be collected.
- Don’t overfill your bin – make sure the lid closes easily. Overfilled bins are hard to empty and spilled litter attracts pests and vermin.
- Don’t pack bins too tightly. Collection vehicles can’t pick up heavy bins.
Bring your bins in after collection and keep them in good condition
- Bring bins back in within 24 hours of collection and store them on your property.
- Don’t leave your bins on the street between collections. Bins left on the street or footpath can be a safety hazard and create litter when accidentally knocked over. They’re also more likely to be damaged, stolen or lost.
- Clean your bin regularly to remove any debris and liquid. This will help prevent odours, pests and vermin.
- If your bin has cracks, missing wheels or a broken or missing lid, complete this form to organise a repair or replacement.
Food scraps recycling service collection days
If your household is taking part in our food scraps recycling service, check the table below to see when your maroon lid food scraps bin is collected.
Darlinghurst, Elizabeth Bay, Erskineville, Eveleigh, Potts Point, Pyrmont, Redfern, Rosebery, Rushcutters Bay, Surry Hills, Ultimo, Waterloo, Woolloomooloo, Zetland
Mondays and Thursdays
Alexandria, Beaconsfield, Camperdown, Centennial Park, Chippendale, Darlington, Dawes Point, Forest Lodge, Glebe, Haymarket, Millers Point, Newtown, Paddington, Sydney
Tuesdays and Fridays
House or terrace
Rosebery, Waterloo, Zetland
Alexandria, Beaconsfield, Dawes Point, Forest Lodge, Glebe, Millers Point
Erskineville, Redfern, Surry Hills
Darlinghurst, Potts Point, Pyrmont, Ultimo, Woolloomooloo
Camperdown, Centennial Park, Chippendale, Darlington, Newtown, Paddington
Disposing of other kinds of waste
Waste & recycling servicesWe’ll collect old furniture, mattresses, whitegoods, electronics and other big household items you no longer need.
Waste & recycling servicesBook an e-waste pick-up or take items to one of our quarterly recycling drop-off days or recycling stations.
Waste & recycling servicesDifferent recycling and disposal methods are needed for these toxic types of waste. Never put them in your household bins.Free
Waste & recycling servicesIt’s free to recycle clothes, batteries, polystyrene, electronics and other tricky items from your doorstep or apartment lobby.
Waste & recycling servicesInformation and resources for building managers and building champions. Learn how you can help make the service work in your building.
Waste & recycling servicesLearn how to recycle these items in the easiest and most convenient ways.
Waste & recycling servicesWalk, ride or drive. Find a drop-off option convenient for you. Quarterly, weekly and daily.Free
Waste & recycling servicesOur green lid bin is an easy and free way to recycle your grass clippings, prunings and leaves into compost and mulch.Free