Project Status: In progress
Why we’re doing this
There’s strong community demand for the centre’s existing programs and facilities including spaces for hire, the library link, outside school hours care and gym.
Council endorsed the refurbishment of the centre in 2020 and the expansion of the project scope in July 2021. The development application was approved in December 2021.
What we’re doing
The upgrade will add more facilities and enhance the community spaces in the centre.
- a new 60 square metre community room
- increasing accessibility with a new lift
- a new entry foyer, ground floor public toilets and office
- expanding the gym area on level 1
- upgrading the first floor showers and adding new first floor toilets
- converting the existing gym cardio room into a dedicated community space
- refurbishing the main community hall, library link and level 1 community room
- upgrading the outside school hours care facilities and courtyard play equipment.
Programs and services during the closure
The centre is closed for the upgrade. Construction is expected to be completed by early 2024.
During the upgrade, programs and services are being temporarily provided at our other nearby facilities:
The library link and City of Sydney run programs, activities and employees are available at Maybanke Community Centre, a 3 minute walk away at 87–89 Harris Street, Pyrmont.
The nearby Ultimo Community Centre is available for fitness classes, programs, services and activities that require larger spaces.
Families who require outside school hours care can use the service at Ultimo Community Centre. Ultimo Primary School also provides outside school hours care.
Community-led activities including the choir and community dinner are held at Harold Park Community Hall.
Our employees at Pyrmont Community Centre have temporarily relocated to Maybanke, Ultimo and other community centres. The centre will be staffed when it reopens.
Subscribe for updates about Pyrmont and Maybanke community centres
We’ll keep you updated about the Pyrmont Community Centre upgrade, opportunities to get involved in community consultation and other centre news.