Lodge a development application for sex premises
We regulate businesses in the sex and adult entertainment industries, including brothels, swingers clubs, strip venues, adult bookshops and adult cinemas.
Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
Obtain building owner’s written consent
Obtain building owner’s written consent for the venue to be used as sex service or adult entertainment premises.
Check zoning restrictions
Adult entertainment and sex industry premises are only permissible in some areas, depending on land zoning. Information about the zoning can be obtained by contacting one of our duty planners.
Prepare and lodge a development application
Lodge your application through the NSW Planning Portal. We won’t accept applications by email or post.
Before you start
Adult entertainment and sex industry premises must not be:
- located in residential zones
- within buildings that are also used as residences
- immediately adjacent to or directly opposite land developed for residential purposes
- next to or directly opposite sensitive land uses such as churches, daycare or child-minding centres, primary and secondary schools, parks, playgrounds or other places children frequent
- located within 75m from an existing, approved adult entertainment or sex industry premises.
Home occupation sex service premises
Our policy for home occupation sex service premises varies according to premises. For information concerning policy, contact our duty planner.
Contact us to make a complaint concerning unauthorised or non-complying adult entertainment and sex industry premises.
Additional information and resources for the operators of sex industry premises are available from the following sexual health centres: