Lodge a development application for sex premises

We regulate businesses in the sex and adult entertainment industries, including brothels, swingers clubs, strip venues, adult bookshops and adult cinemas.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

Before you start

Adult entertainment and sex industry premises must not be:

  • located in residential zones
  • within buildings that are also used as residences
  • immediately adjacent to or directly opposite land developed for residential purposes
  • next to or directly opposite sensitive land uses such as churches, daycare or child-minding centres, primary and secondary schools, parks, playgrounds or other places children frequent
  • located within 75m from an existing, approved adult entertainment or sex industry premises.

Home occupation sex service premises

Our policy for home occupation sex service premises varies according to premises. For information concerning policy, contact our duty planner.


Contact us to make a complaint concerning unauthorised or non-complying adult entertainment and sex industry premises.

Health information

Additional information and resources for the operators of sex industry premises are available from the following sexual health centres: