Get advice from the City of Sydney for your development application

Book an appointment for planning guidance with your proposed works.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

It’s your responsibility to be aware of relevant planning controls and policies that apply to your development before you make your application.

We offer 3 types of advice to help you through the development application process.

General planning advice

For general advice about planning controls and minor developments, such as signs, residential alterations and additions, and outdoor dining, you can make an appointment to speak to a duty planner.

At the appointment you can find out:

Duty planner appointments for general planning advice are only available by phone.

The call will be limited to a maximum of 45 minutes with no consecutive bookings allowed.

Pre-DA advice

For planning advice on large or more complex developments, such as residential flat buildings and multistorey developments, or significant developments involving a heritage item, you’ll need to arrange a pre-development application meeting.

Pre-DA meetings can’t be booked online.

Ask to speak to the area planning manager for your suburb or locality on 02 9265 9333 or email [email protected].

Provided free of charge, pre-DA meetings can identify any potential issues and offer preliminary design advice before the formal application is lodged. This helps to develop mutually acceptable solutions to issues and advance the assessment process.

The level of service provided in pre-DA meetings depends on the nature of the proposal and the advice sought.

Model advice

Some DAs require you to create a model. For advice about our digital and physical model requirements, you can speak to a City of Sydney modeller.

If you have any questions about model advice appointments, including what to bring with you, please email our model unit at [email protected].