Road closures

To minimise traffic congestion in the city centre and on major City of Sydney controlled roads, the City can only approve road closures if the proposed work or event is scheduled for a Sunday. On minor City controlled roads outside of the city centre, weekdays and Saturdays may be considered.

Roads can be closed partially or fully, depending on your requirements. Partial road closures are only approved in low traffic conditions when there will be at least 1 through-lane for traffic to ensure 2-way traffic can continue to operate under traffic control for the duration of the work. Any diversion of traffic flow will require the proposal to be treated as a full road closure. For further information about a partial road closure refer to contacts (see below).

You must apply for approval to do roadwork and/or various other road-related activities, such as operating a mobile crane, cherry picker, concrete boom pump, travel tower or boom lift. Approval is also needed if you plan to put barricades on footpaths.

A fee is charged for the above approvals.

Fees descriptionCharge amount (incl. GST)

Application fee

(non-refundable) payable with the application

Deferred date fee

(non-refundable) payable if closure date is changed

Major road closure

$1,910 per lane per day, per block

Minor road closure

$960 per lane per day, per block

Less than 4 hrs = 25%; 4 to less than 8 hrs = 50%;
8 to less than 12hrs = 75%, per block
12 to 24hrs = 100%; more than 24hrs = pro-rata
(refer to list of major roads)

Mobile crane permit fee$190 per standing

How to apply

Read the instructions and associated documents carefully before lodging your application form. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. If your form contains incomplete information your approval could be delayed and you could incur further fees.

Follow these steps before completing the appropriate application form. Each document is available for download below, unless otherwise stated.

  1. Read temporary road closure conditions.
  2. Review the fees and charges in the table (see above).
  3. Check the major roads list against the map of Council-controlled roads to make sure the street(s) in your application is governed by the City.
  4. Provide a site specific traffic control plan in line with AS1742.3 requirements. The plan must be prepared by a Roads and Maritime Services certified designer for traffic control plans.
  5. Provide a traffic management plan for the proposed road closure.
  6. Read the example of a consultation letter to local residents and businesses and draft a similar letter of your own to include with your application (if applicable).
  7. Review the example of a temporary road closure advertisement and attach a draft relevant to your application (if applicable).
  8. Refer to the Local Pedestrian Cycling and Traffic Calming Committee meeting schedule to check the submission cut-off date for your application.
  9. Complete your application form together with one of the following where applicable:
  • crane permit
  • temporary works application
  • road opening permit.


For further information about cranes, temporary works permits, road openings and partial road closures, please contact construction regulation:

02 9265 9333

For further information about temporary full road closures, please contact traffic operations:

02 9265 9333

Last updated: Wednesday, 1 July 2020