Get approval to use the public way for minor construction works
We regulate construction works that require a footpath, cycleway or roadway to be temporarily closed or partially obstructed.
Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
Prepare accompanying documents and applications
- Acquire a traffic/pedestrian control plan drawn by a Roads and Maritime Services-accredited person that’s in accordance with AS 1742.3 and the manual for traffic control at work sites where diversions are required on a footpath.
- If the works impact a cycleway or shared path, also read the traffic control plan guide (PDF, 344.14KB). The guide shows how to achieve equivalent provision for people riding bikes in your traffic control plan.
- If your application is for the construction of a temporary driveway/layback for vehicle access, a road opening application must accompany your submission.
- Refer to section 5 of the temporary works application (PDF, 91.26KB) for a full list of accompanying documents and applications.
Complete the temporary works application form
All parts of the form are mandatory.
Lodge the form by email
- By email: [email protected]
After you finish
- No payment is required at the application stage. Once the permit has been processed, our team will email you a link to make an online payment.
- If additional information is required, we’ll be in touch. Otherwise allow at least 2 working days for your application to be assessed.
Costs and Fees
Per week or part thereof and change of date
Single residential loading and unloading fee
Per week or part thereof
Single residential lane
Kerb lane or Minor road through lane**
Major road through lane**
**Kerb Lane fees are applicable where a site does not have a City of Sydney approved / signposted works zone.