Terms and conditions
Stage 1 applications
- Stage 1 applications must be lodged using the online form by Sunday 26 June 2022 at 11.59pm Sydney time.
- All stage 1 applications are at the artist’s own cost.
Shortlisting and selection
- The City of Sydney reserves the right to shortlist and/or select artworks in part or in full.
- All decisions made by the City of Sydney in relation to the expression of interest process, including selecting, adopting designs and developing the final lanterns are final.
- The shortlisting and/or selection of any artwork will be at the sole discretion of the City of Sydney. Shortlisting is not a guarantee of selection.
- Stage 2 submissions for shortlisted artwork must be lodged in line with the instructions specified by the City of Sydney and its representatives from time to time.
- Shortlisted artists must consider any feedback or directions in relation to the proposed artwork provided by the City of Sydney in response to their stage 1 application, and as part of preparing their stage 2 application. Failure to incorporate the City of Sydney’s responses may lead to the artwork being no longer suitable for selection.
- The artist of the selected concepts will receive a 2-part payment: $2,000 plus GST paid to develop shortlisted concept on submission of the original artwork images and $3,000 plus GST paid on submission of refined artwork images submitted by the key date specified by the City of Sydney. A valid tax invoice and the required bank details for payment must be provided before payment. This is the maximum amount payable for a submission, irrespective of the number of artworks and artists it comprises. All designs will be subject to a rigorous assessment process to determine feasibility for development.
- All designs will be subject to a rigorous assessment process to determine feasibility for development.
- The City of Sydney reserves the right to not proceed with any artworks lodged through the expression of interest process, and/or to source artworks outside the process. The City of Sydney has a right to abandon final selected artworks in its absolute discretion at any stage including the final development stages for whatever reason.
- Shortlisting and/or acceptance of artworks may be subject to an interview process which may be face to face or by audio-visual link.
- The successful completion of a stage 2 application does not guarantee selection or the City of Sydney proceeding with the artwork.
- Shortlisted artists will be required to enter into the stage 2 agreement with the City of Sydney as part of stage 2 of the expression of interest process.
- Artists and participants in the expression of interest process must comply with all directions given by the City of Sydney in relation to the process. Artworks selected through this process will be presented as part of Sydney Lunar Festival 2023.
- Both the City of Sydney and the artist must agree on the manner in which the artwork will be attributed in any launch or publication material for the purposes of any moral rights in the artwork.
- Artists must not make any statements to the media about the expression of interest process and/or the artwork/project without prior approval from the City of Sydney. If artists or other personnel involved in the process are contacted by the media, they must first contact the City of Sydney before providing any response.
- You acknowledge that the City of Sydney may need to manipulate the concept to suit the requirements of the construction, build and installation process.
- Artists will be responsible for obtaining public liability insurance (minimum of $20 million for each occurrence), professional indemnity insurance (where relevant), and worker’s compensation insurance as required by law. The City of Sydney may request that artists that are involved in stage 2 provide certificates of currency for all required insurances.