Sydney Lunar Festival Chinatown Lanterns
We invite artists, creatives and producers to design lanterns illustrating the Year of the Rabbit for the 2023 festival.
We’re seeking concept designs for lanterns as part of the Chinatown Lanterns exhibition in Dixon Street Plaza.
Applications are now closed.
Running between Hay Street and Goulburn Street, Dixon Street Plaza is a pedestrian thoroughfare in the heart of Chinatown in Haymarket.
Home to a number of multicultural businesses and restaurants, the plaza is a key Sydney Lunar Festival site with a number of programs planned for the location, including the Lunar Lanes street party and roving cultural entertainment.
Concept designs will go through a 2-stage selection process. Selected designs will then be adopted and transformed into the Chinatown Lanterns.
The exhibition will be free for the public and able to be viewed night and day.
Sydney Lunar Festival is attended by more than 1.3 million people each year and celebrates the city’s diverse cultural communities.
The 2023 Lunar New Year celebrations include Chinatown Lanterns, Lunar Lanterns on George Street, Lunar Lanes in Chinatown, Dragon Boat Races and an exciting program of more than 80 associated events.
Lanterns will be exhibited from January 2023 to February 2023.
We’re looking for projects that:
- reflect the Year of the Water Rabbit and characteristics of the zodiac sign
- creatively interpret a traditional outdoor lantern
- draw inspiration from Chinese Australian cultures
- Have both daytime and night-time appeal
- are innovative in the use of the Dixon Street Plaza outdoor space
- appeal to a broad audience in a high profile, heavily trafficked location
- demonstrate artistic excellence, innovation and creative expression.