- At the City of Sydney, we know that furry friends can bring joy and companionship to many of our residents.Our services and policies ensure that pets remain healthy, well-socialised and safe, and that their needs are balanced with those of the wider community.
- We encourage owners to be responsible for their pets. The pet you take home not only requires love and attention, but also needs food, exercise, grooming and health care.
- Our companion animals policy outlines your responsibilities as a pet owner.
- Pet owners are responsible for controlling their pets in the local neighbourhood and public places, as outlined in the NSW Companion Animals Act .
- Dogs also need training to learn basic commands and to understand what you require of them.
- Owners should also learn about how dogs behave and children should be taught how to stay safe around dogs. All dogs need regular exercise and we provide off-leash areas for dogs to exercise.
- Your dog should also be microchipped, desexed and registered.
Lists, maps & inventoriesRestricted breeds, menacing and dangerous dogsLast updated 24 September 2020