Arundel Street Playground is at 181 Arundel Street, Forest Lodge.In 1794 this was the spot where the newly formed Parramatta Road crossed Orphan School Creek. The following year this land was part of 20 acres granted to Catherine King. The alignment of Parramatta Road changed but this was known as Old Parramatta Road until becoming Arundel Street in 1905.
Orphan School Creek at this location, on the west of the site, is now enclosed in a stormwater drain. The land was later owned by Randolph Want, a solicitor who had large landholdings in Glebe. This site was part of the block at the corner of Short Street, where a house was built in 1891. The house’s backyard was sold to Council for a park in 1952, and later became a playground.
Max Solling, ‘Glebe 1790-1891: a study of patterns and processes of growth’, MA Hons thesis, University of Sydney, 1972