The civic collection comprises items of movable cultural heritage that document the City of Sydney’s identity through historical, contemporary and emerging traditions and creative practices.
In the collection, you’ll find:
- historical and contemporary civic portraits, historical and contemporary works of art in traditional and diverse media including pieces by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- furnishings that reflect the working requirements of a functioning council and interpret key phases of the historical development of our buildings, particularly Sydney Town Hall
- historical items and memorabilia associated with our civic history, such as official gifts, plaques, memorials and insignia.
Management of the collection is directed towards acquiring, preserving and interpreting the following:
- artworks and digital media that reflect the cultural diversity of our communities
- furnishings that have significance to our properties, including Sydney Town Hall
- historical items relating specifically to us in its civic administrative and ceremonial role.
How to view and access the civic collection
For more information about the collection, please contact us.
A number of items from the collection are available to view in our online catalogue.