Project Status: When you need to do this
All library branches and links are closed for general access.
These services are available at some branches from Monday 19 October:
- Customs House, Darling Square, Green Square, Kings Cross and Surry Hills libraries: Browse and borrow and access computers and study desks.
- Newtown Library, St Helen’s Community Centre, Glebe and Pyrmont Link: Members can reserve and collect loans.
What you need to do
If you already have an Adobe ID and compatible ebook reader then you're ready to go and you can jump ahead to the section below titled downloading ebooks.
Otherwise, there are a few things you'll need to set up before you can start.
Setting things up
Create an Adobe ID
Load software onto your computer or device
Visit the Adobe Digital Editions website and download the version for your platform.
Authorise your Adobe Digital Edition
Find the authorise section for your version of Adobe Digital Editions and type in your Adobe ID. Remember you must use the same Adobe ID if you intend to read across multiple devices (maximum 6 devices).
What if I use an ebook reader?
For ebook readers, you will need to authorise your reader through Adobe Digital Editions. To do this:
- Connect your device to your computer, launch Adobe Digital Editions and follow the prompts to authorise your device.
- Check the list of ebook readers supported by Adobe Digital Editions.
- When you have your Adobe ID and authorised your device/s, you're ready to download ebooks.
Login to your library account
- Visit the online catalogue and select login/renew at the top.
- Enter your library account with library card number barcode (or alias) and PIN (or password).
Find the ebook you want to read
Search for ebooks by title, author or subject and change the format to ebook. Alternatively, you can browse our collection of ebooks by clicking on the ebooks tab.
Download the ebook to your device
Once you have found the ebook you wish to borrow, click the download tab then:
Click to download.
Please note: depending on your device or browser, a pop-up window will appear. Clicking open will access Adobe Digital Editions and your download will start. Or the download will automatically go to a pre-designated folder on your device, in which case opening the file will launch Adobe Digital Editions and your download will start.
Click to agree to borrow this ebook.
This will take you to BorrowBox or the confirmation screen. From here, you can select how you want to read the book, online, download or by chapter.
Clicking read online will open the book in your browser to read without downloading the book to your device.
If you want to skip to a particular chapter and only read that section, use the chapter download option.
Clicking full download will then guide you through the download options for your device.
Before you start
If you're a library member and have a smartphone or tablet, you can browse, borrow and read all within the BorrowBox and Indyreads app.
- Download the BorrowBox and Indyreads apps available for iOS and Android devices.
- Log in by selecting City of Sydney Library and using your library membership number and pin.
As a first time user, you may also need to add some registration details such as an email address.