Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
Complete the online form
- If you can’t access the online form, visit a branch open for browsing and borrowing
- Check that you are a City of Sydney resident or ratepayer before applying for a temporary online membership. View our boundaries.
Activate your membership
- To finalise your full membership and collect your library card, visit a branch open for browsing and borrowing. You’ll need to show proof of identity and permanent residential address. Official documents such as a driver licence, student card, bank statement or rates or utilities notice are accepted.
- To finalise your temporary online membership, email a copy of your proof of identity to [email protected]. Official documents such as a driver licence (provide scan of front and back), rates or utilities notice showing your current residential address are accepted.
Applicants under 18 years old
- A parent or guardian is required to approve your application. They will need to visit a branch with you to show proof of identity, including their residential address and Medicare card listing your name. For temporary online memberships this proof of identity should be emailed to [email protected]
Convert your temporary online membership to a full 3 year membership
To convert your temporary online membership to a full 3 year membership, visit a branch open for browsing and borrowing.
You will need to provide proof of identity, including your current permanent address.