Project Status: Closed
What we’re doing
We permit third parties to operate markets on City of Sydney owned and managed land. Our markets policy provides a framework for us to assess, manage and approve markets on land we manage.
We have updated the policy to enhance clarification and understanding. The intent of the policy remains the same.
- banning the sale or promotion of any prohibited items or services at a market such as fur and exotic animal skin products, other than where is permitted under traditional First Nation cultural practices
- clarifying where a market can take place on City of Sydney land, including Crown land
- increasing the number of occasions a temporary market can be held as a temporary event before the market policy applies such as 12 occasions with 12 months
- moving the market approval stages from the policy into the draft guidelines for setting up a market on Council land
- adding an operator criteria and objectives that we’ll use to assess market proposals
- issuing public notices, and accept and review community feedback for markets on City of Sydney land
- revising details relating to market land use fees in line with the adopted fees and charges schedule.
Updates have also been made to our market guidelines to support and align with the updated policy.
How you can give feedback
Consultation closes at 5pm on Thursday 28 July 2022.
Feedback may be published in publicly available reports at the end of the consultation period. Your name or organisation’s name may appear in these reports with your feedback attributed. If you would like your feedback to be kept confidential, please let us know when making your contribution.