Project Status: Open for feedback
Have your say
Complete our online form.
What we’re doing
Ensuring that contaminated land is appropriately managed and regulated is important to protect human health and the environment.
Our contaminated land policy has been drafted to provide a framework for the City of Sydney to appropriately manage land contamination through land use planning and related processes. The policy also aligns with our legal and legislative requirements as a planning authority.
The policy aims to:
- ensure land use changes or development will not increase risk to human health or the environment
- make sure any contaminants are adequately remediated to ensure the land complies with relevant land use contamination criteria as required by law and is fit for intended purpose
- avoid inappropriate restrictions on land use
- provide information that supports decision making and to inform the community of our requirements
- consider the potential for land to be contaminated when assessing and determining development applications
- consider the potential for land to be contaminated when preparing planning proposals for rezoning, including when preparing planning proposals for which the City of Sydney is the applicant.
How you can give feedback
Consultation closes at 5pm on Friday 12 August 2022.
Feedback may be published in publicly available reports at the end of the consultation period. Your name or organisation’s name may appear in these reports with your feedback attributed. If you would like your feedback to be kept confidential, please let us know when making your contribution.