Your say on our updated naming policy
We’ve reviewed our naming policy to ensure it aligns with current state government legislation, policy and principles.
Project Status: Closed
Council approved the updated naming policy at its May 2023 meeting.
What we’re doing
Our updated naming policy provides clear direction for the naming of suburbs, roads, parks, open spaces, places and buildings that are owned, operated or managed by the City of Sydney.
- provides principles for determining and approving a name
- explains when a name may be changed
- explains when and how Aboriginal language can be used in naming
- ensures that naming principles meet legislative requirements
- provides consistency in approach and clarity about naming opportunities.
- Strengthening and adjusting principles to ensure compatibility with NSW Geographical Names Board policies, especially regarding uniqueness, syntax, community sensitivities, dual names, persistence and when a name may be changed
- Emphasising the importance of Country and Aboriginal language
- Clarifying and strengthening the explanation of Aboriginal Place Naming
- Explaining the steps to consider and progress a naming proposal
Other updates include alignment with key legislation and policies (NSW Aboriginal Languages Act 2017, NSW Geographical Names Board policies) and small administrative changes, such as formatting and style updates.
This policy is reviewed every 4 years to ensure consistency across relevant legislation and policies, and to confirm it is supporting recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural heritage and history in public spaces and streets.
The policy applies to all naming proposals. The policy is not retrospective.
We invite you to read the draft policy and provide your feedback.
How you can give feedback
Consultation closes at 5pm on Monday 27 February 2023.
Complete our feedback form
Email or post your feedback
You can also give feedback by email to [email protected] or post to:Senior Project Officer
City of Sydney
Town Hall House, Level 7, 456 Kent Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Talk to us
Feedback may be published in publicly available reports at the end of the consultation period. Your name or organisation’s name may appear in these reports with your feedback attributed. If you would like your feedback to be kept confidential, please let us know when making your contribution.