Report noise from motor vehicles

If you're concerned about excessive noise from motor vehicles you can report noisy engines and exhausts, dangerous driving and horns, alarms, sound systems and vehicle refrigerators.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do 

Other information

Legal requirements

NSW law requires that:

  • noise levels from motor vehicle exhausts must not exceed specified levels
  • vehicle engines must not be modified so they’re louder than when originally manufactured
  • noise-control equipment on motor vehicles mustn’t be defective and must be securely in place
  • car alarms must not sound for longer than permitted times.