Affordable rental housing strategy
Affordable rental housing is a basic requirement and essential component of an inclusive, dynamic and sustainable city.
- In 2009, we adopted an affordable rental housing strategy that was developed in collaboration with private and not-for-profit organisations.
- The key objectives of the strategy are to:
- increase the amount of affordable rental housing in the local area for very low, low and moderate-income households
- protect the existing stock of low-cost rental accommodation (such as boarding houses)
- encourage a diverse range of housing in the local area
- work with other inner Sydney councils to address affordable rental housing at a regional level.
- The strategy identifies the need to increase the supply of affordable rental housing stock by nearly 8,000 by 2030.