Project Status: In progress
What we’re doing
We are upgrading the southern portion of Portman Street. This work will make the area safer for people walking and riding, help calm traffic, and improve the streetscape with more trees and plants.
At the same time, we will begin building the west and mid sections of Zetland Avenue, connecting to the soon-to-be-completed Zetland Avenue east.
- better footpaths and new cycleways
- new street furniture, smart poles and plants
- three signalised intersections on Zetland Avenue
- one signalised intersection at Geddes Avenue and Portman Street
- changes to parking on Portman Street
- underground electrical lines.
We will also implement one-way southbound travel for vehicles travelling on Portman Street between Geddes Avenue and Sonny Leonard Street.
As part of these works, we need to replace the small trees along Portman Street south with eucalyptus trees. This section of Zetland Avenue will feature new, large-sized Australian kauri pines and Japanese zelkova.
Our contractor, Ward Civil, started work in September 2020 and we expect the project to take about 18 months to complete.
Work will take place from 7.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday and 7.30am and 3.30pm on Saturday. If any night work is required, nearby residents will be notified.