Apply for a filming or photography permit

You need to request permission before your shoot begins in the City of Sydney area.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

Talk with a film liaison officer
We encourage you to contact us at the earliest time before applying on 02 9265 9333 or [email protected]. We can advise the best process to follow, and provide guidance on who you need to notify, as well as any further requirements like parking and insurance.


A guide to filming and photography on City of Sydney landPDF · 522.4 KB · Last modified

There is no application fee for an ultra-low impact application.

Note, photography applications are currently not permitted in Paddington Reservoir Gardens.

If your application falls under the low, medium or high impact filming categories, or you wish to book parking while filming within private property, fill out the application below. As a minimum, you must include the following:

  • applications must be lodged with full and complete details, which are not subject to change
  • the applicant’s public liability insurance certificate of currency
  • location plan specific to your shoot
  • Applications with missing or incomplete details will be declined.

Further details such as traffic control plans, pedestrian management plans and risk assessments may be required.

Film production and photography applicationPDF · 92.61 KB · Last modified

Before you start

After you finish

Film production on a city street, showing actors, crew and film equipment.
‘I Am Woman’Dion Beebe (DOP) and Anthony McNeil (Standby Props).Photography by Lisa Tomasetti, courtesy of Goalpost Pictures

Need a hand?

Read our guide, then contact a film liaison officer.

Application fees

Valid from 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024.

There is no application fee for an ultra-low impact filming application.

Fees are GST exempt unless specified.

Fees and charges

Low impact

Application fee


Late application fee


Parking fees – weekdays

Use of ticket parking, Monday to Friday. GST exempt.


per car space per day

Parking fees – weekends

Use of ticket parking, Saturday and Sunday. GST exempt.


per car space per day

Film production fees and chargesPDF · 25.73 KB · Last modified

Apply for a reduction or waiver of fees

You may be eligible for a reduction or waiver of fees if:

  • the production and application is by a registered charity or not-for-profit organisation where the primary purpose is for the improvement/benefit to the City of Sydney community
  • the production and application is by an educational institution relating directly to a course or curriculum based assignment, and solely for a non-commercial purpose.

To apply for a reduction or waiver of fees, download and complete the reduction/waiver of filming fees application.

Reduction/waiver of filming fees applicationPDF · 85.32 KB · Last modified

Land ownership

Our area includes some precincts that require applications and permits from other authorities.

The government landowners map will help you determine the authority for the area of your production.

Contacts for other authorities

Centennial Park, Queens Park, Moore Park, Driver Avenue and other roads within

Inside train stations

Royal Botanic Garden, The Domain, Mrs Macquarie’s Chair, Hospital Road and other roads within

Circular Quay, The Rocks, Darling Harbour, Pymont wharves, Pyrmont Point and other areas of Pyrmont/Ultimo

Sydney Opera House including forecourt areas

All state roads such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Anzac Bridge, Cahill Expressway, Western Distributor and Botany Road


Filming on private property

If you’re filming on private property, you don’t need to apply for our consent but you’ll need to lodge a filming management plan.

The management plan needs to include:

  • your company details
  • a description of the filming to take place
  • the proposed location
  • start and end dates
  • crew size
  • details of temporary structures
  • equipment to be used such as handheld or mounted cameras
  • parking arrangements
  • any expected disruption to the surrounding area such as noise, vibrations, release of smells and the use of lighting or special effects
  • copies of approvals that you need from other public authorities such as the police.

You must also follow the state government’s planning restrictions in relation to the property.

Report local film and photography crew concerns

When you need to do this

Raise your concern with the production company. If you can’t resolve the issue that way, report it to us.