Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
Determine your application’s requirements
- Filming, photography and drone/RPA permit requests that do not meet the criteria for the ultra-low impact category need to be lodged with the film production and photography application form.
- Contact us for guidance on who you need to notify, as well as any additional requirements like parking and insurance.
Ultra-low impact filming or photography application
Complete our online application form
If your production or photo shoots meets all of the criteria to be classified as ultra-low impact, you can complete our online application form.
- Each application requires at least 2 working days to process.
- Confirmation on approvals are issued up to the last working day prior to the proposed shoot date.
Film production and photography application
If your production or photo shoots do not meet the criteria for the ultra-low impact category, follow the below steps.
Our area includes some precincts that require applications and permissions from other authorities.
- Download our Government landowners map (PDF 3.89MB) to determine the authority for the area of your production.
- The websites and contact information of these authorities are listed below.
This application must be submitted with at least 5 working days lead time prior to the first shoot date or the first date of proposed barricading of parking spaces where applicable – whichever occurs first.
For road closure applications, at least 15 working days lead time is required prior to the first shoot date involving a road closure.
Applications received outside of the minimum lead time can be rejected. While approval is possible for late applications in unique circumstances, late application fees will apply.
A technical survey of the film site should be undertaken before lodging the form with all required information completed in the application such as proposed equipment, timings and any special scene requirements such as use of prop weapons or police uniforms.
Contact our film liaison officer before lodging
Please make contact with our film liaison officer before completing the application form.
- 02 9265 9026
- [email protected]
Lodge your completed form by email
All completed applications must be lodged with full and complete details, which are not subject to change. As a minimum, the applicant’s public liability insurance certificate of currency must also be included.
For more details about the application process and prerequisite information for lodgements to be valid, please refer to the filming and photography on City of Sydney land document.
Applications with missing or incomplete details will be rejected.
Drone/Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) use
If your production includes commercial drone/RPA use, additional restrictions apply. Additional documentation must also be submitted with your application.
Further information and licensing procedure queries can be directed to the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority or phone 131 757.
No take-off or landing sites on public land are permitted that cannot satisfy the basic conditions of a standard operators certificate.
All standard RPA operator certificates require an exclusion zone of 30m be enforced for all take-off/landing sites, with no operations permitted within 30m of any member of public at any time. As such, the take-off/landing site proposed must be able to satisfy this minimum requirement with scaled exclusion zones illustrated upon a pedestrian management plan to be included with all applications.
Documentation requirements depending on the type of operation
Further documentation must be submitted for all additional operations as listed below:
- within 3 nautical miles or 5.5km of an airport requires specific CASA approval
- at night requires specific CASA approval
- within restricted airspace requires specific approval from the controlling authority
- within military airspace requires military approval (LOA) and CASA approval
- out of visual line of sight require specific CASA area approval
- within less than 30m of a member of the general public requires a specific CASA issued operators exclusion.
All UAV operators must ensure that flights remain in line with the requirements of privacy legislation.
You can download an area map (PNG, 1.91MB) that illustrates the 3 nautical mile exclusion zone for all drone/RPA flights surrounding towered airports in Sydney.
All operators found to be operating in breach of an approval issued by us, in breach of CASA conditions of their operator's certificate or operating without an approval will be stopped, possible infringement notices issued and all details provided to CASA for further action.
Additional documentation requirements
The documentation and certification required depends on the type and weight of your drone/RPA.
Filming on private property
Lodge a filming management plan
If you’re filming on private property, you don’t need to apply for our consent but you’ll need to lodge a filming management plan. See plan inclusions below.
You must also follow the state government’s planning restrictions in relation to the property.
Other requirements and approvals
Depending on the nature of your photo shoot or film production, you may need to notify the police, neighbours, as well as arrange additional insurance and parking arrangements.
Fees and charges
Depending on the nature of your photo shoot or film production, you may need to notify the police, neighbours, as well as arrange additional insurance and parking arrangements.A list of filming and still photography fees for streets, parks and open spaces can be downloaded below.
Apply for a reduction or waiver of fees
You may be eligible for a reduction or waiver of fees if:
- the production and application is by a registered charity or ‘not-for-profit’ organisation where the primary purpose is for the improvement/benefit to the City Of Sydney community
- the production and application is by an educational institution relating directly to a course or curriculum based assignment, and solely for a non-commercial purpose.
To apply for a reduction or waiver of fees, download and complete the reduction/waiver of filming fees application.