International student leadership and ambassador program
Offers free training, work-integrated learning and volunteering opportunities.
Applications open for our 2023/24 program
International students living and studying in Sydney are invited to apply to join our 2023/24 program. Training for successful applicants begins in February 2023.
- Applications open: Wednesday 2 November 2022
- Applications close: Sunday 4 December 2022
About the program
Our award-winning international student leadership and ambassador program aims to build Sydney’s reputation as a preferred destination to study.
The program offers free training, work integrated learning and volunteering opportunities to enhance international student leadership skills and experience, which become transferable to their future careers. Participants also have an opportunity to make new friends, build a local support network and develop a sense of belonging while getting involved in local events and activities.
The ambassadors also participate in international education related forums to inform policy, research and service development that impact on their communities. During the 12-month program ambassadors are mentored and supported by the City of Sydney to develop and implement projects to address the needs of international student communities. These include networking events, leadership conferences, employment panels and sports events.
In 2014, the program won first prize at the NSW International Student Awards. StudyNSW and the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet presented the awards to celebrate the contribution international students make to the community. The program was also awarded for its Outstanding Work with Diverse Young People at the 2018 NSW Youth Work Awards.
To be eligible an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- You are living, studying, working in and/or regularly visiting the local area.
- You are 18 years or older.
- You are an international student currently enrolled in a course provided by a registered higher education provider in Australia.
- You hold a valid Australian student visa for the duration of the international student leadership and ambassador program from 1 February 2023 to 27 January 2024.
- Ability to meet the international student leadership and ambassador program workload and time commitment requirements from 1 February 2023 to 27 January 2024.
- Have previous leadership experience and/or volunteering experience in Australia or overseas (for example, participating in a student society or volunteering for a local charity).
- Have good communication skills and intermediate-level or above proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Have good organisation and time management skills; be reliable and punctual.
- Be self-motivated and proactive, able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Possess knowledge of the City of Sydney, international student issues, support services and programs for international students.
- Possess a positive attitude and high level of commitment about participating in the program, and demonstrate a high level of professionalism such as being punctual, reliable, and accountable to one’s actions and a good team player.
How to apply
Applications must be completed online by Sunday 4 December 2022.
Before you apply, we recommend you review the information for applicants below.
Eligible applicants will be invited to attend a group assessment on either Sunday 20 November, Saturday 10 December or Saturday 17 December.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview. The interviews will be held from Monday 12 December to Saturday 31 December.
All applicants will be emailed the outcome of their application by Friday 6 January 2023.
Successful applicants are required to attend:
- an orientation event on Wednesday 1 February 2023
- 8 in-person training sessions from Wednesday 1 February to Saturday 4 March 2023.