Alcohol restrictions

Alcohol restrictions

Alcohol restrictions

The City uses alcohol restrictions in some areas to help prevent street drinking and improve public amenity.

Drinking in a restricted street or park may lead to alcohol being confiscated and/or disposed of by police.

Alcohol-free zones cover public roads, footpaths, car parks and laneways. Alcohol-prohibited areas apply to parks and civic spaces. Refer to the map below for more detail. 

Drinking alcohol in these areas is permitted if you are in a private home, licensed bar, cafe or restaurant. You can carry alcohol through these areas if the bottle is unopened.

If you see people drinking in an area with alcohol restrictions, contact your local police station (listed below).

If a sign has been damaged, stolen or defaced, please call and let us know on 02 9265 9333 or email

How to make an application 

An application for an alcohol-free zone or alcohol-prohibited area can be made by completing our online form.

When we receive your application, a City officer will contact you if further information is required. Restrictions are established by Council resolution after community consultation as required under the Local Government Act 1993.

If you would like to speak with a City officer about alcohol restrictions in our local area, please contact the Safe City team.


Safe City
02 9265 9333

Alcohol-free zones and alcohol-prohibited areas

View in new window

Please note: Consuming alcohol in many parks and public spaces in our local area is prohibited. Please check the signs for information about current restrictions.

Local police stations

Sydney City
192 Day Street
02 9265 6499

1–3 Talfourd Street
02 9552 8099

Kings Cross
1–15 Elizabeth Bay Road
Kings Cross
02 8356 0099

222 Australia Street
02 9550 8199

Tower 1, 1 Lawson Street
02 8303 5199

Surry Hills
151–241 Goulburn Street
Surry Hills
02 9265 4144

Last updated: Monday, 25 February 2019