Outdoor dining guidelines
What you need to know about setting up and using public spaces for outdoor dining.
- This document outlines what’s required to conduct outdoor dining on footways or other public spaces.
- It supports our outdoor dining policy and helps us assess outdoor dining applications.
What the guidelines contain
- Introduction provides a general overview and key terms.
- Outdoor dining approvals outlines the documents and compliance requirements you need for an outdoor dining application.
- Footway access sets out the requirements for establishing a clear path of travel for people walking.
- Outdoor dining areas sets out the rules for determining the locations and dimensions of outdoor dining areas.
- Outdoor dining furniture outlines the design requirements for furniture, signs and other structures for outdoor dining.
- Neighbourhood amenity sets out the requirements to reduce the impacts of outdoor dining, for example hours of operation and lighting provisions.
- Responsibilities for the operator details issues such as insurance and maintenance.
- Special areas for outdoor dining gives more detailed guidance for the use of footways and public space in Martin Place, George Street and Llankelly Place.