Find the consent authority for development applications within the City of Sydney's area

Planning authorities include the City of Sydney, Central Sydney Planning Committee and the NSW Planning Minister.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

The map below displays where consent rests with:

  • the City of Sydney or the Central Sydney Planning Committee
  • the NSW Planning Minister
  • the NSW Planning Minister for development that has a capital investment of more than $10 million.

The City of Sydney is the consent authority except as required by the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

The Planning Minister is the consent authority for state significant development and major development, which is described in the State Environmental Planning Policy (State and Regional Development) 2011 and the State Environmental Planning Policy (Major Development) 2005.

For more information visit the NSW Legislation website.


The City of Sydney accepts no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of any material contained herein and recommends that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to its use.