Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
Fill out an application form
Visit a customer service centre
Your access card will be issued when identification and any other documents are confirmed.
Ensure you have 2 forms of identification showing your current residential address. They need to be original documents, not copies.
Your photograph will be taken, and the card issued on the spot.
The card is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.
For those who love the water, the card allows entry for a swim at any City of Sydney aquatic centre for $2.
The fee includes access to the steam and sauna at the Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre.
For those looking for a workout, the card gives you access for just $5.50 to the fitness centres at:
- Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre
- Victoria Park Pool
- Cook+Phillip Park Aquatic and Fitness Centre
- Gunyama Park Aquatic and Recreation Centre.
Before you start
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for an access card, you must be a resident of the City of Sydney. See a map of our local area.
You must also be one of the following:
- holder of a valid Commonwealth Health Care Card, a Pensioner Concession Card or Seniors Health Card (not a Seniors Card)
- assessed as suffering financial hardship
- person seeking asylum or refugee living in the City of Sydney's area.
Applications under financial hardship
City residents experiencing financial hardship may be eligible for an access card. To be eligible you, or your household, must be earning (before tax) less than:
- 1 individual – $42,300 a year
- 2 individuals – $42,300 to $67,600 a year
- Families $67,601 to $101,400 per year.
If you are applying for a card because of financial hardship, you must provide:
- the most recent tax return for all working adults in the household
- the most recent payslip for all working adults in the household
- a Medicare Card (for families only).
If you own assets or property which would reasonably be used to relieve your financial hardship, you may not be eligible for a card. It is against the law to use false or misleading information in order to obtain a City of Sydney access card.
Eligibility of people seeking asylum and refugees
People seeking asylum and refugees living in the City of Sydney's area can apply for an access card.
- proof of identity
- a valid ImmiCard, Status Resolution Support Services (SRSS) card, or a supporting letter from your advocacy agency.