Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
- To make noise complaints about fireworks, contact SafeWork NSW. The organisation is responsible for regulating and investigating fireworks issues, including noise.
To complain about fireworks noise from city buildings or streets, contact us.
We can receive and document complaints about fireworks, including noise, that have been launched within our area but can’t take action. We can instead raise significant issues with SafeWork NSW to consider when it authorises future fireworks displays.
Regulation and management of fireworks displays
SafeWork NSW manages and regulates the planning and authorisation of fireworks displays.
We display fireworks during the Sydney Lunar Festival, the Christmas tree lighting at Martin Place and our world-famous New Year’s Eve celebration.
All other fireworks throughout the year are organised by other authorities:
- Roads & Maritime Services: Sydney Harbour and Harbour Bridge
- Sydney Opera House Trust: On or around the Opera House
- Property NSW: Darling Harbour
- National Parks and Wildlife Service: Fort Denison
Notice must be provided 7 days before a fireworks event. Fireworks can be organised by a person, organisation, public authority or private company.
You can search for upcoming fireworks notifications that have been lodged with SafeWork NSW.
We aren’t necessarily notified when fireworks will occur in these areas. We’re notified, only when required, that a fireworks display is planned.
We normally then advise SafeWork NSW if we support or object to the planned display based on the success of previous events at particular locations or by particular operators.