Get approval to carry out minor development

A complying development certificate can be determined by the City of Sydney or private certifier without the need for a full development application.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

Before you start

Prepare your supporting documents

Below is a list of documents you’ll need to provide along with your application.

Electronic documents lodged with your application must satisfy our digital requirements, including file format, size, resolution and naming conventions.

For works that may impact on common dividing walls of terrace houses see party walls for further information.

After you finish


The determination will be issued on the NSW Planning Portal, including any supporting documents such as approved stamped plans.

Notifying neighbours

You must notify neighbours if you use the complying development system to carry out works in residential zones.

Neighbours within a 20m radius of the site will be notified by the registered certifier when they are processing a complying development application within a residential zone.

Sketch of property boundaries, showing a radius of 20 metres and the residential properties affected.

If you are unsure about whether you are located in a residential zone you can check the land zoning maps or apply for a zoning certificate.

Neighbours have no objection rights to a complying development proposal because it meets minimum impact criteria on surrounding properties.

Development contributions

Some complying development may require a contribution towards public amenities and services.

For complying development, accredited certifiers are responsible for calculating the contribution in line with our relevant development contributions plan.

If a contribution is required, a condition requiring payment of the contribution is to be included in the complying development certificate.

You must pay the contribution before commencing the complying development works.

Appointing a principal certifier

After the certificate is issued, a principal certifier must be appointed to ensure the works comply. If you decide to use the City of Sydney as the principal certifier, you need to apply through the NSW Planning Portal.

Once your appointment form is complete and accepted for lodgement on the NSW Planning Portal, we will contact you to make payment of the fees.

Notice of work commencing must be provided to us at least 48 hours before works begin.

Obtaining an occupation certificate

At completion of works and before you occupy or use the building/structure, you must obtain an occupation certificate from the principal certifier. You need to lodge the application on the NSW Planning Portal .