Apply for a property certificate
A section 603 certificate shows the rates status of a site. A section 10.7 zoning certificate shows planning and other controls that apply to a piece of land.
Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
Apply for a certificate online
Complete your order and pay securely online.
Following payment, certificates will be sent within 4 working days. For each certificate ordered you will receive an email with the certificate attached as a PDF.
Apply by mail or in person
Download and complete the application form. Ensure that all fields have been filled in correctly.
- Mail: City of Sydney, GPO Box 1591, Sydney NSW 2001
- DX: 1251 Sydney
- In person: customer service centres.
Before you start
Section 603 certificates – Rates certificates
Solicitors, real estate agents and members of the public who are buying a property can apply for a section 603 certificate to check the rates status of a residential or business address.
A statutory fee of $85 is charged for each section 603 certificate. GST is exempt.
The usual processing time for a section 603 certificate is between 1 to 2 business days from the date of receipt and payment.
Order your certificate online or through the mail or over the counter at one of our customer service centres.
There are 2 types of section 10.7 certificates available:
- A section 10.7(2) certificate shows the zoning of the property, its relevant state, regional and local planning controls and other property issues such as land contamination and road widening. This certificate is based on the parent property only, not on individual lot numbers.
- A section 10.7(2) and 10.7(5) certificate provides the same information but also includes other factors such as advice from other authorities, subdivision history, easements where we have that information available and access to the parking permit scheme.
While the certificate will state all the relevant planning instruments that apply to the property, it does not specify particular development standards or terms of the instruments. If you propose to develop the property, we recommend undertaking thorough research into all of the planning instrument terms that apply to the land.
Under section 10.7 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, we must issue these certificates upon application. You can apply for your certificate online or you can download an application form. We no longer accept faxed applications:
- section 10.7(2) certificate costs $53
- section 10.7(2) and 10.7(5) certificates cost $80.
Your application will be processed within 5 working days from the date of payment.
Urgent certificates can be processed within 24 hours for an additional $151 fee. To allow for a 24-hour turnaround, we must receive your application no later than 3.30pm the day before it is required during weekdays. Applications received on a Friday will not be available until the next business day excluding public holidays.
These certificates cannot be applied for online and must be collected from one of our customer service centres. Please download and complete the certificates application if you need a certificate urgently.
Outstanding notices and orders
A section 121ZP certificate lists any outstanding notices and orders including unauthorised building works and stormwater works as well as unsafe or unhealthy conditions. The certificate costs $133.
After you finish
After your application has been receipted it will be processed within 5 working days.