Project Status: Completed
What we’re doing
The Sydney Park brick kilns and chimneys made a significant contribution to the building industry of Sydney and NSW, and they have great cultural and historical importance.
We undertook restoration works on 2 of the 4 chimneys to ensure the historical brickworks site, in the north-west corner of the park, is maintained and conserved.
The works included:
- removing vegetation from the mortar of chimney 2 and chimney 4
- repairing and reinforcing cracked bricks and mortar on chimney 2
- rebuilding the top section of chimney 4
- improving the structural stability of chimney 2
- installing a copper sheet cap on chimney 2 to prevent water penetration.