We want all our residents and businesses to benefit from the opportunities of a connected future.
Why we are doing this
We want Sydney to continue being one of the most innovative and liveable cities in the world.
For our city to remain competitive, we need to continue to harness opportunities in the smart use of technology and data. We also need to keep attracting people to work here so our local businesses and economy can continue to thrive.
We want all our residents and businesses to benefit from the opportunities of a digital future and a smart city. Our digital strategy sets out the principles we follow to provide projects and programs for our local residents, workers and visitors. Our smart city strategic framework sets a clear direction for how we can use technology and data to make better decisions and enhance the quality of life for our diverse communities.
In a time of continuing technological change, disruption and uncertainty, we need to keep our focus on people. We need to meet the expectations of our communities and make the changes necessary to keep pace in a fast-moving digital world.
As our population continues to grow, the needs of our communities and environment are intensifying. There is more pressure on our services, budgets and infrastructure and we need to use data and technology to address these pressing challenges and build resilience. We also want to make the most of our local area’s strengths and rich natural assets and unlock new opportunities.
It’s not possible to do all of this alone. We will work in partnership with other government agencies, universities and businesses to maximise the benefits for our community.
Our digital strategy sets out our approach to digital transformation with 6 key principles:
- Champion digital inclusion and lifelong learning
- Create people-centred digital programs and services
- Transform how we engage with all our communities
- Support businesses to build digital skills, knowledge and infrastructure
- Actively participate in the urban renewal of Sydney, advocating for, and where appropriate providing, smart infrastructure needed to ensure Sydney's global competitiveness
- Innovate ethically in the information marketplace
Strategies & action plansDigital StrategyPublished 13 August 2020
How we can achieve this
Our smart city strategic framework identifies the 5 outcomes we want to achieve with smart, ethical and secure use of data and technology, underpinned by smart infrastructure:
- Supporting connected and empowered communities
- Fuelling global competitiveness and attraction and retaining global talent
- Futureproofing our environment and bolstering resilience
- Cultivating vibrant, liveable places
- Providing customer-centric efficient services
Strategies & action plansSmart city strategic frameworkPublished 27 August 2020