Book a doorstep recycling collection for tricky household items
It’s free to recycle clothes, batteries, polystyrene, electronics and other tricky items from your doorstep or apartment lobby.
Project Status: When you need to do this
If you live in the City of Sydney’s local area and have small, tricky items to recycle that don’t belong in your regular household bins.
To dispose of large items like furniture, whitegoods, mattresses and large electronics book a free pick-up for bulky items.
New-look doorstep recycling service opens
Bookings are now open with our new contractor SCRgroup.
The improved service means City of Sydney residents can order a free collection of unlimited bags once a week.
What you need to do
Check that your items can be collected
Make a booking with SCRgroup
Book a free collection of unlimited bags with SCRgroup online or by calling 02 9066 5833.
Prepare your items for collection
Separate your items into 2 categories:
1. Clothes, bed linen, and toys
2. All other items including electronics, light bulbs, x-rays, polystyrene, batteries, printer cartridges, paint, vapes and mobile phones.
- Place coffee pods in a soft plastic bag and tie it up to stop leaks.
- Tape the ends of batteries with sticky tape or duct tape to prevent fires and place them in a soft plastic bag.
- Write a note “Doorstep recycling service” and attach it to the bags so your neighbours know it’s being collected.
Put your items out before 8am on your scheduled pick-up day
- A driver will come by to collect your items before 3pm.
- If you live in an apartment building with secure access, you can leave your bags outside near the entry or letterboxes. Or if you’re home, leave them in the lobby and buzz the driver in.
- If you live in a house or terrace, leave your bags at your doorstep.
Retrieve your empty bags
The driver will leave your empty sturdy reusable bags where you left them – don’t forget to retrieve them.
What happens next
- The driver picks up your bags between 8am and 3pm.
- You’ll receive a notification when your items have been picked up.
- Your preloved items are collected and sorted by our team and sent to local service providers for processing. This contributes towards a circular economy.
If something doesn’t go to plan 🙁
- If your bags aren’t picked up before 3pm on your scheduled day, contact SCRgroup at [email protected] and you’ll receive a response as soon as possible.
- If you need to change or edit your booking, log in to your account online or call 02 9066 5833. Changes need to be made by 4pm the day before your scheduled pick-up.
- If you forget to put out your bags, SCRgroup will be in touch with you to reschedule your booking.
- If items were left in your bag, they are likely not accepted. SCRgroup will contact you with more information.
Why we’re doing this
We’re providing residents with a convenient way to recycle tricky items that don’t belong in kerbside rubbish or recycling bins.
The doorstep recycling service will help us reach our goal of zero waste to landfill by 2050.