Gain exemption from requiring development consent for heritage works

You’ll still need to notify us about minor works to heritage items or within heritage conservation areas.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

Development application (DA) exemption – heritage worksPDF · 83.1 KB · Last modified

Before you start 

The best way to conserve heritage items and places in heritage conservation areas is to carry out regular maintenance and repairs. Some types of minor works may also improve the serviceability of the place without negative impacts on heritage significance.

These works may include re-painting a building in an original or appropriate colour scheme, replacing rusty gutters and downpipes to match original details or restoring a front verandah to its original detail.

To make it easier for owners to maintain and repair their properties, the Sydney Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2012 specifies certain development that may be carried out to heritage items or within heritage conservation areas without the need for a development application.

Works can only be carried out without a development application when:

  • the consent authority has been notified and given approval in writing
  • they're minor, to maintain and not affect the significance of a heritage item, Aboriginal object, place of heritage significance or archaeological site or within a heritage conservation area.

An application form still needs to be completed for these works.

In some instances, approval under part 5 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 may be required for the relevant works. Please seek pre-application advice from us before lodging this application.

For general planning advice you can make an appointment to speak to a duty planner.

Heritage item inventories and conservation areas

There a number of heritage conservation areas in our area. The Sydney Local Environmental Plan 2012 details the boundaries of these areas in its list of heritage maps.

Search the State Heritage Inventory for heritage items in the ‘Sydney’ local government area.

After you finish

If your request is approved, you will receive written confirmation that your works do not require consent.

You can't commence work until you receive this written confirmation and you should keep the confirmation for your records.