Update your pet’s registration

With an up-to-date register, we can easily contact owners when a lost or missing pet is found.

If your cat or dog passes away, you need to let us know within 28 days.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

Changing details

  • If you change your address, fill in the change of address notice below
  • If you sell or give your pet to a new owner, fill in the change of owner/details form below

Post your completed form to us or take it to a customer service centre.

Change of address noticePDF · 404.32 KB · Last modified
Change of owner/details formPDF · 57.12 KB · Last modified

If your pet has passed away

  • Contact our pet registration clerk within 28 days at [email protected] or 02 9265 9333.
  • You’ll need to provide the microchip number, species of pet, your name and address, and deceased date.
  • We’ll cancel your pet’s registration and you’ll no longer receive our notifications.

Before you start

If you’re moving with your pet to our area from another state or country, and the previous owner can’t be found, you’ll need to identify and register your pet in NSW. You’ll need to provide us with:

If you don’t keep your pet’s registration up-to-date

You may be fined if you don’t let us know when your pet is sold or given to a new owner.

If you can no longer care for your pet

We don’t accept surrendered animals. If you’re no longer able to care for your pet, please contact the RSPCA, Cat Protection Society, Animal Welfare League or your local animal shelter for advice.

It’s illegal to dump or abandon your animal and animal cruelty charges apply.