Get approval for a food business

Make sure you have all the right permissions before you start trading.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

New premises registration and change of existing registration formPDF · 66.84 KB · Last modified

Before you start

Find a suitable premises

  • Make sure the premises is large enough and has a kitchen exhaust or room for one to be installed. The exhaust must discharge vertically above the roof level and not adversely affect another household or business. Further smoke or odour controls may be necessary.
  • If a grease trap is required by Sydney Water, it mustn’t be installed in any kitchen, food preparation or food storage areas. You should be able to empty the trap from the boundary of the property.

After you finish

Once all appropriate approvals have been issued, you can start trading.

Food premises inspections are not required before you start trading. Once you've registered the City of Sydney will carry out random, unannounced inspections.