Project Status: Planned
Why we’re doing this
The City of Sydney and the NSW Goverment invited your feedback on our proposal to extend the pedestrian boulevard of George Street from Hunter Street, Wynyard to Essex Street.
This proposal builds on the success of the completed George Street boulevard between Hunter Street and Rawson Place. It will include:
- 5,900m² of new pedestrian space
- wider footpaths by restricting through traffic
- up to 20 new trees
- new street furniture.
This proposal will see our vision of a fully pedestrianised George Street from Circular Quay to Central a step closer, with over 20,000m² of former roadway reclaimed for people.
The City of Sydney and the NSW Government are extending the pedestrian boulevard of George Street from Hunter Street, Wynyard to Essex Street.
Improving streets & public spacesWe will close George Street to vehicles between Hunter Street and Bridge Street from Monday 9 January 2023.In progress · Circular Quay, Wynyard
Improving streets & public spacesThe City of Sydney and the NSW Government are extending the pedestrian boulevard on George Street from Bridge Street to Essex Street.In progress
What we’re doing
Proposed changes to traffic arrangements along George Street include:
- removing access for vehicles in George Street between Hunter Street and Essex Street
- closing the intersections of Hunter, Margaret, Bond and Jamison streets with George Street
- introducing turn restrictions at the intersections of George Street and Bridge Street
- southbound traffic on George Street from The Rocks will be required to turn right at Essex Street.
You can find full details of the traffic changes in George Street and its surrounding streets in the concept design and local access plan.
Proposed traffic and access arrangements.
Addresses impacts of the proposal and how they will be managed.
Feedback may be published in publicly available reports at the end of the consultation period. Your name or organisation’s name may appear in these reports with your feedback attributed. If you would like your feedback to be kept confidential, please let us know when making your submission.