Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
Use your yellow lid bin correctly
What belongs in the yellow lid bin
- aluminium and steel tins and cans
- aerosol cans – these need to be empty
- aluminium foil – scrunch into a tennis size ball before it goes in
- glass bottles and jars – separate metal lids and place small ones in an empty tin
- plastic soft-drink and water bottles
- plastic food containers, tubs, trays and fruit punnets
- juice and milk bottles
- plastic containers for laundry liquid and powder, shampoo, conditioner, hand and body wash
- newspapers, magazines and advertising materials – please remove plastic wrapping before adding to the bin
- egg cartons
- envelopes – even those with clear plastic windows
- cardboard boxes including empty pizza boxes – remove any food scraps before putting them in the yellow lid bin.
What doesn’t belong in the yellow lid bin
- Plastic bags and soft plastics such as bread bags, biscuit and confectionery packets, frozen food, rice and pasta bags
- Polystyrene such as meat trays and foam packaging
- Light globes, mirrors and window glass
- Crockery, drinking glasses and Pyrex
- Sharps and syringes
- Tissue paper and napkins
- Mixed materials – this means items that combine cardboard, metal, plastic, or foil. For example, waxed cardboard containers such as milk cartons, coffee cups or ice cream containers. Or juice tetra packs, coffee and hot chocolate containers – which usually have a cardboard body, metal base, and foil lining.
We can’t take your bin if it contains unacceptable items, if the lid can’t close, or there's material outside your bin unless bundled and booked as a separate pick-up.
Before you start
3 Handy recycling tips
Keep it loosePlace your recycling loosely in the yellow lid bin – never in plastic bags. Plastic bags jam the machinery at our sorting facility, so we can’t recycle them or anything placed in them. Use a container or box to store your recyclables before putting them into your bin.
To rinse or not to rinse
No need to rinse containers before putting them in the recycling bin. They just need to be empty and dry. You might like to rinse anyway, as it keeps your recycling bin extra clean and odour-free.
Soft vs hard plastics – do the ‘scrunch test’
To identify soft plastics, do the ‘scrunch test’. If you can scrunch your plastic into a ball easily, it can’t go in your yellow lid bin. You can recycle soft plastics along with plastic bags through the REDcycle program at participating supermarkets. Your empty packaging will be recycled into useful new products like outdoor furniture. Hard plastic packaging that keeps its structure or bounces back when you try squashing it goes in your yellow lid recycle bin.
After you finish
Where it all goes
All materials collected are sent to a specialist recycling facility where materials are sorted for recycling. For example, paper and cardboard, glass, metals, and different types of plastics. From here, these items are reprocessed into raw materials and used to produce new products.
You might already know that paper, cardboard, steel, glass and aluminium can easily be recycled into the same type of materials or used in the production of new materials. You might not realise, however, that some plastics are transformed into outdoor furniture, plant pots and polar fleeces.
Other ways to recycle
Return and Earn
We provide kerbside recycling services to the local community. To complement these services, the NSW Government has introduced the largest litter reduction scheme in the state, Return and Earn.
The scheme started in December 2017 to help reduce the more than 160 million drink containers being littered each year. Return and Earn is part of the NSW Government’s commitment to reducing litter volume in NSW by 40% by 2020.
Our residents, workers and visitors can now Return and Earn at the self-service reverse vending machine on the ground floor of the car park, behind the Kings Cross police station, 10am to 4pm, daily.
There are other collection points in our local area. Find your nearest collection point.
All enquiries about Return and Earn can be directed to TOMRA, the network operator at [email protected] or 1800 290 691.